It's a struggle to lose weight at any age, but weight loss for women over 40 is even harder. Actually from my own personal experience losing weight got much harder when I was about 38!
At 5 foot 2 "I was prone to put on weight easy but when I set my mind to it I would stick to cutting back on calories and faty food and the weight would drop off me. if I put my mind to it. But that was then and this is now – at me aged 39 I have had to re-evaluate the whole diet situation from a different angle.
Why It's Harder To Lose Weight At 40
When you start reaching 40 or are in your 40s then you will be experiencing hormonal changes in your body. It's building up to the 'change' as we call it in the UK. The menopausal change in your life when your periods begin to cease. This hormonal change can go on for years before your periods finally stop, but your body is reacting to the change and your weight sufferers as an exit.
In addition to this your metabolism slows down and food does not burn up as quickly as it used to which in turn leaves faty deposits in your body.
Stress and depression are other factors which hinder the weight loss process. Everybody seems to be getting more stressed these days with added pressures of juggling carers, motherhood, managing the house etc ..
Lack of sleep is part of the stress / depression symptoms and lack of sleep also hinders in your weight loss endeavors.
As you can see, there are many problematic factors associated with why weight loss for women over 40 is hard to achieve.
How Can Women At 40 Lose Weight Effectively
Now that we have established some of the main reasons why women over 40 are finding it hard to lose weight, let's look at some positive steps to help us achieve our goal. Do not write yourself off! You can still lose weight and be healthy, it just needs a little bit extra work with a bit more knowledge on how to achieve this.
Do not think that you can look like you did when you were 20, but we'll have a good shot at looking at how you did when you were 30!
So, here are my weight loss strategies:
1. Eat 5 small meals a day. This helps to keep your metabolism going.
2. Add metabolism boosting spices to your meals such as cinnamon, ginger, garlic, chile powder.
3. Cut down of caffeine such as coffee and tea and drink green tea and herbal teas.
4. Drink 6 glasses of water a day. Water flushes out toxins and keeps your metabolism going.
5. Do moderate exercise three times a week for 30 minutes each. Walking, swimming etc.
6. Take 10 very deep breaths of fresh air daily. Inhaling though your nose and exhaling through your mouth. This also boosts your metabolism.
7. Keep a positive image of your slim self in your mind. Keep a focus of this image to keep you going.
As you can see from the above list all these points are meant to help stimulate your metabolism. This is the key to weight loss for women over 40, ie you need to constantly keep your metabolism going. While your metabolism is working on a constant basis means that you are burning up fat and this can only be a good thing!